Ideas and feedback on other topics

Give the elderly and disabled power ti choose tv providers

I live in Midland Commons, a Senior Community, in Charlotte, NC. I am a 67 year-old, disabled woman. The manager will not allow me to have Dish network which is more affordable for me. Shee says it's an eyesore. Our apartments are all ground-level. Mine is the last apt. Near the woods. Is this still America? Are the elderly to be treated like children? Are we dispised for growing old. I am mostly home-bound.

3 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ms. Willie Mae shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you don't own the property it's not yours to do with as you please. That's like painting it what you want or destroying a toolshed outback cuz you don't like it. It is your landlords property.

• Jasper Genie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with you as I am in much the same situation. The problem is you have run into a brick wall. The complex owner has the right to set rules of reasonable use, some of which are defined in the original plat. Your city may not allow satellite mounted on roof. The manager's opinion means nothing unless he/she is the property owner.

Whether or not you can force this owner to allow it is a legal question. Are you the only handicapped senior? If you are there may be an argument to be made. The satellite dish can also be installed on a pole - which eliminates installing on the roof. The problem you have is woods. The satellite dish has to point over the trees.

There are some things to understand about satellite. The advertised low price is for one year of a two contract. The second year is full price, and they may drop some channels that were special to that initial price offer. Satellite internet is slow. It bounces a signal from earth to 12,000 miles or farther to the satellite and then back to your house. What I found was the best deal for me, is phone and internet from the phone company ($75) plus TV from a cable or satellite ($60.00). I have Direct TV because I think their customer service is much better.

Other topics

Feedback and Knowledge Base