Ideas and feedback on other topics

Get rid of the Child Internet Protection Act

In the schools that can afford laptops for their students, this act makes these once handy pieces of technology into golden bricks. Students complain about having educational sites blocked. Facebook is banned as well, but Facebook has been proven to promote collaboration between students. In addition, when the sites are blocked at home, is this not invasion of privacy? Students should have the right to browse the internet how they like at home, and this useless act prevents that.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam Tuttle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a valid point. What are you going to do when they get older kids get around sites being blocked by going on sites that are similar and maybe even worse for them to use you can't block the internet so why try to. The Internet is a tool to enhance your knowledge and hall you have easy assess to connect and learn from others.

• S Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even with the tight bans at school sites it is fairly common to get a flood in of *** responses with certain keywords, or search terms. Found this out with multiple "oopses" when my Health classes began researching topics for semester projects I assigned them. Several sites they pulled up were very sexually graphic and/or depicted violence, s&m, etc...

Also how can we stop mates, or even family members from setting controls on those of us who are not under 18? It's happened to me and was not very easy to undo once it was done.

Government agencies have their plates full enough and I agree they should relax many of these censoring type rules somewhat. Well, except where child exploitation is suspected; in which cases I support the rules to track and arrest these criminals %200. Whatever it takes to weed out these perverts, and predators using Internet to lure the young, or vulnerable into their webs. Hang them high are my sentiments there!

Other topics

Feedback and Knowledge Base