How can FCC data be more useful to the public?

Put in place a method of providing the FCC with Part 15/18 RFI complaints, via the web, including follow up.

Put in place a method of providing the FCC with Part 15/18 RFI complaints, via the web. Include investigation, and possible enforcement if violations found, with feedback to the person submitting the initial complaint.

131 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dave shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Branson N4HFA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to believe this is a good thing, however, the FCC's attitude in recent years toward enforcement issues (IE: attempting to close the bulk of the field offices) leads me to believe this may be nothing but window dressing. I hope for all of our sake I am wrong.

• Ron Weaver W6OM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Require all imported entertainment systems to have adequate RFI shielding. Or in simpler terms, ENFORCE YOUR OWN REGULATIONS.

• Joe Roth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The enforcement is so difficult however, RFI has been an ongoing and GROWING issue. The noise floor generated by the vast quantity of low emission radiating devices has created communication reliability issues. Combine this high noise floor with less that reasonable band conditions or natural noise, communication becomes impossible in situations. RFI has already reached a critical point.

• Teddy AE4TJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The process to notify the FCC of RFI, broadcast interference, and misuse of the bands needs to be made as simple as possible to encourage reporting. I made a complaint about a broadcast that comes in on 40 M around 7.202 at 01:00 Z and it took so long to fill out the form I'll likely not bother with reporting again. Updates and on the action should be e-mailed to the initiator of the complaint, do not make us go to the FCC web site.

• Dick Bays commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need enforcement of current, (and newer) Federal regulations for RFI limits. Especially with ignored and non-compliant "home-use" appliances with RF generating lighting equipment.......

If the FEDs law is made, we need the ENFORCEMENT behind the idea, right at the border/customs and at the sales store!....

• Tom KD8DEG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be GREAT. I do not see it happening, now that they are closing 15 (around half) of their field offices.

• Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea that would greatly simplify submitting complaints and, if enforced, it would help eliminate a lot of RF issues. Perhaps other hams nearby could also add information to confirm or help locate the submitted issue.

• Phil N9LAH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a tremendous idea if it will have followup enforcement. The plethora of apparently licensed but non conforming devices hitting our shores is unending and something definitely needs to be done.

• Fred commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

being 1 who has called the FCC before about rfi in the small town here, it took me a spell to get a solid response. BUT once it was assigned and all they kicked butt for sure.

Any easier way to post complaints would be awesome

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its a great idea, but reporting without enforcement is like no reporting at all...

• Ed K0iL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the FCC adds enforcement in addition to the web site complaints pages, then it might work. But be ready for an initial flood of complaints!

• James W Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RF noise, much of it generated by products non-compliant with Part 15 and Part 18, gets worse with every passing year, and greatly reduce the usability of significant parts of the radio spectrum. An efficient means of reporting and responding these violations is needed, directed both at the manufacturer/distributors of the non-compliant products and at their users.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This problem - FCC not enforcing Part 15/18 is a big one. More than a year ago I filed a complaint. All I ever got was a machine generated response. Nothing was ever done, nor was I ever contacted about the problem

• William Osler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An absolutely terrifc idea! There is simply too much junk coming into the country that was not built to the specs submitted to the Commission. The result is terrible RF pollution.

← Previous 1 2 Next →

Data

Feedback and Knowledge Base