How can FCC data be more useful to the public?

Put in place a method of providing the FCC with Part 15/18 RFI complaints, via the web, including follow up.

Put in place a method of providing the FCC with Part 15/18 RFI complaints, via the web. Include investigation, and possible enforcement if violations found, with feedback to the person submitting the initial complaint.

131 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dave shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see FCC follow up repeated complaints with some enforcement action

KG7MQC

• Les commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an rfi issue on 80m. I tracked it down to some utility lines and a very specific location and contacted the FCC. FCC told me I had to go through ARRL. The ARRL insisted that the problem had to be a grow light, even though the interference pattern was not even remotely what they said a grow light produced. Also, it is 24/7.

The process for manufacturers to acquire RFI compliance for many devices is obviously flawed. I also know of far too many complaints to the FCC that seem to fall on deaf ears. Submitting a complaint is easy enough but yes, please provide follow-up and communicate the status of any investigation.

David Springer

ARRL supports the Technical Coordinator at the section level as well as at headquarters in Newington. A significant portion of the TC responsibility involves RFI issues. This process works well normally. However, a centralized reporting system supported by the FCC might be useful in assessing the overall degree that RFI does cause problems as well as identifying the more serious causes. Ideally Amateurs would report responsibly including relevant and accurate information. This would be no place to record emotional rants and frivolous complaints. Additional research and careful planning would be necessary to insure a value added approach to RFI.

Jim Yoder ARRL Ohio Section Technical Coordinator

I think I am whistling in the wind here, but, it seems that the appliances (high efficiency cloths washers, multi-speed AC fans, compressors, and similar) are causing dramatically more noise than their predecessors. Add the long standing "switching power supply" noise problems and HF operation is all but impossible in some instances.

What is also aggravating is that many RF devices (remote switches, weather stations, ceiling fan controls, and likely, wireless IP devices are operating poorly due to the invasive noise from no RF devices making so much noise. The list of offending device types is huge.

Whether the device is marked as compliant with emissions standards seems to be unimportant since many devices are generating noise even with the emission markings - as if they are applied but never validated. Seems like a situation that is out of control.
        And the #1 motivation for violating the standards is greed. Good luck to us all.

I think this is a great idea, being able to file RFI complaints and having a way to follow up. Let's hope it becomes a reality.

• Ron Bergantzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very good idea -
        I would like to state that although some have had a lot of problems clearing up RFI and associated power line noise , the local electricity provider here in Minnesota ( ECE ) has performed an excellent job in taking care of a power line noise issue here recently .
        Ron Bergantzel KA0RYT

I have been having rfi noise for four yrs now and i have contacted the FCC about this and nothing has been done so what will change nothing

• James Pinion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Someone needs to enforce rfi and emf standards on equipment sold in the US. Magic jack is a terrible offender. I know because I own one. If the power supply is turned on I get S9 noise all across the HF, and VHF bands. When I unplug it noise drops to around S1 to S3 instantly. Another offender are cheap LED line powered bulbs and LED monitors. But CFL's are not producing the noise as much as they did when they were first introduced. CE listed monitors and devices should meet CE standards. Cable modems and routers also add to the noise. However all of these together do not add up to the rf noise of 1 magic jack in my home.
        Thanks

• Stefano commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lot of the electronics I own, including laptop, LCD monitors, modem, router etc. from main brands such as Samsung, HP, Motorola, DLink, Apple and Asus, all cause significant RFI. The problem is definitely not limited to imported products, especially nowadays when even top brands have their products partially or completely made in China or other countries with poor quality control.

• Larry D. Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Non compliance with RFI requirements is getting out of hand. More enforcement is needed to make sure manufacturers comply with the regulations.

• Chuck Gold commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need an easier method to report RFI problems. This may become overwhelming at first, but there is definitely a need. The next step would be to act on the complaints.

Just do it !!! We need to keep the airways clean of abuse by those with no respect for the privileges we enjoy. Those that abuse are not caught or punished often enough.There needs to much more enforcement and this would certainly help.

Not only the Amateur Radio community but the Broadcasting industry, in particular the AM radio station owners, is heavily invested in having a noise free service. The owners of the electrical distribution network and certain other industries should have an enforcable duty to clean up their noise radiating, faulty equipment.

With all the cheap and imported (China) LED bulbs and less than perfect ballasts around today, an easier way to report them is necessary.

• John c commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add a page to the fact website to report Friday issues and followup. There is a HUGE refi issue resulting from cheap led light bulbs and under the cabinet lights with touch dimmers

This survey does not appear to be legitimate. It is not being coducted on an official U.S. Government website with a joke that ends in .gov. The FCC already knows about, and has ignored, massive numbers of RFI complaints. Why would they want to expose their lack of response on a web page? Maybe this survey is just phishing for personal email / identification information. Be careful!

• Mark W7MGW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I replaced my home's heat pump system 10 weeks ago with a new 5 ton system. Shortly thereafter I discovered the air handler VFD fan was emitting S9 hash centered on 15 MHz. Needless to say 20M is now unusable. The manufacturer provided and installed an RFI kit at no charge but after 3 service visits no reduction in the RFI hash has been achieved. The air handler cabinet is a new polymer design which essentially precludes any shielding possible with an older metal cabinet design. I would certainly welcome a web based FCC RFI reporting system. I am sure there will be more similar complaints as these new polymer enclosure systems are installed.

← Previous 1

Data

Feedback and Knowledge Base