How can FCC data be more useful to the public?

WEA Wireless Emergency Alert

Though WEA is a good idea it is not very useful in it's present form. Choice desperately needs to be added. To be useful alert type and times for accepting alerts needs to be added.

Example, I will likely never be out anywhere in the middle of the night to spot a child abductor; though it is possible I could during daylight hours. When I was awoken at 1:00 AM by an Amber alert my only choice was to disable Amber alerts entirely. For this reason myself and millions of others are not participating at in this program that can save children.

Weather alerts. I live in north Texas and would very much like Tornado Warning alerts. I do not need Flash Flood or Thunderstorm alerts. It is an unusually wet year, I have been awoken sometimes several times in the same night by Flash Flood alerts. I do not live in a flood plain, I do not need these; what I do need is a good night's sleep. Today I again exercised my only choice and turned of all emergency alerts. I don't think the President's warnings, which I have no control over, will warn me of a tornado. So basically for me, the entire alert system is rendered useless.

I don't know if the functionality I am asking for is a carrier option (none presently have it to my knowledge) or something the FCC controls. Either way choice on Emergency Alerts must be added, or the system is useless to most of us.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)