How can FCC data be more useful to the public?

stop data throttling

I believe the FCC should end the data throttling. Its outrageous that companies like AT&T can throttle unlimited data customers after 5GB but still offer data plans up to 100gb

361 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mike shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

End the data throttling! Phone providers want to claim they have "Contract" when it comes to protecting themselves but this data throttle was not mentioned in contract or rate plan information. AT&T blind-siding when they claim they throttle only the users who show having high usage. My usage is very low but data throttling is very obvious. I pitty new customers who fall for AT&T's offer of monthly phone installment payment since AT&T fails to inform customer that they will pay for the phone 3 times over versus paying $100.-$200.00 upfront. "calculate the interest rate on that and disclose AT&T". This is example of how AT&T plays their same game using "new phones" instead of a "unlimited plan". They jsut like to "Test" and verify "who notices what". Consumers dislike the bait and switch also when paying for new phone insurance and finding out when they need to use it that AT&T will replace with a used phone "just to see if you notice", if you do...you then get what you were originally promised in the service. YEP! AT&T Loves their GAME of "just to see if you notice".

• Biggov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe the FCC can just take over all telecom companies, offer unlimited everthing for free and just charge the taxpayers for it all. Too bad for the investors...

• Anusha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here are T Mobile's Terms and Conditions that I think are unfair to its subscribers-

"To provide the majority of our customers with a good experience and minimize capacity issues and degradation in network performance, we may take certain steps with our network, including, but not limited to, temporarily reducing data throughput for a subset of customers who use a disproportionate amount of network resources."

My Comment: Define "disproportionate". Leaving this to the discretion of the carrier defeats net neutrality principles. A five-minute news podcast that seems important to me is not important to T-Mobile. Though I am well within the data plan for the month, I am bombarded by "this connection may be slow" messages that spoil the smartphone experience for me. Worse, essential services like GPS services are not accessible because of this throttling and rate limiting.

"If you use your Data Plan in a manner that could interfere with other customers’ service, affect our ability to allocate network capacity among customers, or degrade service quality for other customers, we may suspend, terminate, or restrict your data sessions, or switch you to a more appropriate Data Plan. "

My Comment: Again, all subjective terms. An inability to plan capacity cannot be passed on to the user. Just like broadband usage Service level Agreements, there should be SLAs for mobile data availability and average connection speed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sprint is doing it too! My phone gets so slow. And drops calls at certain times of the month! This is not just coincidence!

Data

Feedback and Knowledge Base