Notice a problem or error on FCC.gov?

Cannot comment on ANY dockets. Seems as if you do not want people commenting on Net Neutrality.

You are ruining the internet. Users already pay providers lots of money for speeds comparable to Estonia. The internet is not broken, stop trying to fix it.

522 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are a lot of understandably angry comments. There are not, however, any actual bug reports. My experience, and work around, is below:

When I go to http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment_search/execute?proceeding=14-28, my browser sits on a blank page for a while, but eventually returns with a "server not found" error.

When I ping apps.fcc.gov from my desktop, I get a "server not found" error.

When I log into my router and ping apps.fcc.gov, I get a "server not found" error.

When I log into an offsite server hosted out of a datacenter and ping apps.fcc.gov, I get a response.

When I go directly to http://192.104.54.190/ecfs/comment_search/execute?proceeding=14-28, my browser loads the appropriate page.

When I change my desktop system settings to no longer use my ISP's DNS and instead use Google's Open DNS server (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and ping apps.fcc.gov from my local computer, I get a ping response.

After doing the above change, http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/comment_search/execute?proceeding=14-28 works on my desktop.

As far as I can tell, the issue has to do with my ISP's DNS and not with fcc.gov. Bypassing my ISP's DNS and using Google's DNS resolved the issue for me.

As american, we created the internet and were on the crux of everyone having affordable reliable internet. Now this threatens to put a hold on more of our freedoms.

• Matt Tamasi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fuck the FCC for being run by that piece of **** former cable company lobbyist TOM WHEELER and **** Obama for making him chairman. Also, **** the FCC for censoring all my swear words

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idiotic regulatory body will continue to do what it has done since Nixon polluted it with his cronies. We kissed the potential of public television bye-bye decades ago, and I guess now we can't do the same with a free and open internet. Screw the cable companies and ********* all for ruining our country.

• Lisa Dye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone call the FCC, call your Representative, call your Senator, call the WH. I bet you get the same brick wall you get here. We are irrelevant, except for the money we send to Comcast etc. Stop your cable/internet service for 30 days, maybe that will work

Can't comment or see comments. ARGH!!!!! Is Comcast or the cable lobby running this website???? Oh, yeah... the chairman is who is probably still in their pockets.

• Ask the NSA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The error here is the chairman. He is a paid lobbyist. I believe the error can be fixed by removing said chairman, and replacing him with someone who works for the people, and not for his cable companies.

It is very important to use the revolving door between business and government to make millions of dollars for yourself while you sell out our democracy for personal gain. I understand that this could even be considered to have undertones of treasonous behavior. But in reality this is not the type of person who should be running the FCC. It is UnAmerican.

• K Ego commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tried various servers and can not get through to comment on ruining net neutrality. Not only has the government done nothing in breaking up these monopolies, but they hire its chief lobbyist to run the FCC?
        You need to throw out this new rule,the new commissioner and you need to break up Comcast, Time Warner and AT&T. No company should be in the business of providing cable and providing internet since they can and have blackmailed their primary competition ( Netflix).

Here's an email response from one of the commissioners:
        Thank you very much for sharing your views with me. Unfortunately, I’m unable to respond to all messages promptly and personally, and so I’ll share your concerns with the FCC subject area experts who work directly on your issue.

Here are a few other options for additional action that may address your need more directly:

· Submit a filing for the public record at http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/
        o Find the most active open proceedings at http://fcc.us/1lLis9g
        o Please note that all submissions are publicly available and searchable on the internet
        · File a complaint about a telecommunications related service at http://www.fcc.gov/complaints
        · File a complaint over the phone or ask general questions about the FCC: (888) 225-5322

Thanks again for reaching out.

Sincerely,

Mignon Clyburn
        Commissioner | Federal Communications Commission

Net Neutrality is still open for discussion, right? Or is this just a taste of what the new Cable-owned censorship will look like? If so, I'll just go back to watching birds and handwriting letters because this just sucks.

Breaking it down for you, no cell phone and no cable...sounds pretty good right about now.

Net Neutrality is still open for discussion, right? Or is this just a taste of what the new Cable-owned censorship will look like? If so, I'll just go back to watching birds and handwriting letters because this just sucks.

Restore the comment page for the Net Neutrality discussion, I do not believe that internet providers should have the ability to charge two people for the same job. It is unethical for engineers to charge two different clients for the same work, the removal of net neutrality allows providers to charge consumers for internet access while charging other parties for their content to reach the consumer. This is a very important issue and having the website break and not having it fixed a few days later gives the impression that you don't really care what people have to say.

The internet is the most important and beautiful invention of the past 3 decades. Leave it as is, or better yet, force competition between service providers so that we can have options, and hopefully better service as a result.

You can't disable your comment page just because you don't agree with the comments being posted. I am opposed to the changes proposed under the guise of Net Neutrality. Giving the major corporations the advantage again at the expense of the smaller providers, while typically American, is just wrong. Your doing something so egregious in the face of all the public opposition will be, I expect you will do it anyway, another failing on behalf of our government.

• Mike Marks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to comment on internet policy, but your comment page is not accessible. Please do not let internet providers censor easy access to internet sites by charging fees for internet speed. This would give large internet sites and businesses unfair advantage over small internet sites and businesses and destroy current internet neutrality.

• Robert Cross commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having a functioning comment form is relatively simple. The government should be more than aware that having a comment form, for people to comment about the loss of the internet as we know it, would result in a high load of traffic. This is beyond pathetic for an agency that is responsible for managing the growth and maturation of communications, data, and information. It is near inept.

My only hope is that it does not limit the voice of the people concerning this issue. As an entrepreneur I can confidently state that this change in net neutrality will destroy online innovation. I have already paused my hiring projections based on the progress of the actions of the FCC.

The period of comment should be extended for each day that there is no access by the public to comment. If not one could only conclude that the malfunctioning of the site is nothing more than eradicating the voice of the people.

Since you cannot comment on the website you can email the chairman and commissioners directly and let them know how you feel about net neutrality. I am sure they are eager to hear the publics opinion.

Chairman Tom Wheeler: Tom.Wheeler@fcc.gov
        Commissioner Mignon Clyburn: Mignon.Clyburn@fcc.gov
        Commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel: Jessica.Rosenworcel@fcc.gov
        Commissioner Ajit Pai: Ajit.Pai@fcc.gov
        Commissioner Michael O’Rielly: Mike.O'Rielly@fcc.gov

Feedback and Knowledge Base