How can we improve the new FCC.gov?

Whatever happen to "Layman's Terms"? Why is the FCC website so difficult to understand?

I want to an asset to my community by applying myself and obtaining a Ham license but I got a headache after one hour on your site and never finding what I was looking for. Here is a simply question:How much for a lifetime Ham Radio operators license? After one hour,I still couldn't find the answer.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • heybuzz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The FCC has made this information difficult to find, as it is neither "mobile" nor "broadband" which are its principal buzzwords today. To answer your question, Amateur Radio licenses are granted for ten year terms (not lifetime). The license itself is free, though the test examiners may charge money and the FCC is allowed to charge for some services such as vanity callsigns. Visit www.w5yi.org for the meaningful information that you hoped to find onthe FCC site.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good question. After one hour,I couldn't find the answer either. I guess I need to get another degree in maybe Law or become a rocket scientist and I might have a fair chance but my money is on the brainiac who built this mess. I guess it wasn't designed for the general public to understand and that's why Ham Radio is a dying art if you don't get fee to death beforehand.

Feedback and Knowledge Base