How can we improve the new FCC.gov?

Make the 3 actions more graphically obvious!

Right now the 'Take Action' button is _way_ too small, it takes up <5% of the screen area and is overshadowed by the rotating graphics etc - but it's the most important part of the page!

I'd suggest eliminating the 'click to drop down' behavior and make four large static buttons (perhaps each with a graphic) for 'complain, comment, discuss, help'. These buttons should be the primary focus of the 'above the fold' page, taking up the majority of the real estate. Perhaps a horizontal tiling of the four large buttons, with the scrolling graphic features below and the newsroom below that?

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    EBS shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • allen hancock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there are some of us who need current information on enforcment actions, those are now almost impossible to find. the site was not broken. why do you try to "fix" something that was working fine for the most part. the FCC and govenment in general need to listen. you are the problem, not the solution.

• Richard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't think the drop down aspect is a problem so much as that it's so obscure. I didn't even realize there was a "take action" button I saw this posting... I'm not sure if it needs brighter colors or what, but right now the page is dominated by the scrolling slideshow thing and the search box, and nothing about the "Take Action" button draws your eye.

If that deals with the two most important actions on the site, maybe it should be a bit more noticeable...

• AdminFCC (new media, Federal Communications Commission) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great suggestion, EBS.

It is important to us that users can get engaged with the agency within 1 click from every page on the site, which is why we have the Take Action bar follow users as they scroll down the page.

We know from site analytics that filing a public comment and reporting a complaint are the 2 most popular actions taken on our site. We want to make sure these are as prominent as possible, and if the Take Action bar isn't doing the trick we will need to revise.

-FCC New Media

Feedback and Knowledge Base