How can we improve the new FCC.gov?

Bring back chronological headlines list. It was an easy way to search using the find function.

It was nice to be able to look at all of the headlines from each year as an easy way to filter out unneeded search results. Ex: I need to the open internet NOI. I know it came out in 2010 and I can then just go to 2010 and use a find function to find the name of the order.

59 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Noah Cherry shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This still stinks. Why can't the headlines page have more than the measily ten headlines, and when I tried to go back to the old website so I could access the convenient chronological headlines for 2011, I now have an extra click I have to enter in order to get to what you now call "Traditinoal Archives"? The search functionality is awful. When I start to enter a date search, rather than automatically deleting the YYYY-MM-DD (which is a ridiculous format anyway) when I start to enter a date, it simply adds the numbers and keeps the letters so it returns no results unless I manually delete the letters. Who thinks these things up? Are you getting paid by the keystrokes and clicks it takes users to get anywhere? Even on this comment, rather than allowing me to cursor up one spot in the middles of the sentence, it takes me to the beggining of each line so I have to then cursor over to where I want to edit. It is Saturday and I have work to do. Ridiculous that I have to deal with this when everything was fine before these so-called improvements were implemented. Shameful waste of my taxpayer dollars improving something that was not broken and not even improving it.

• old functionality commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw this under completed. Really, the new functionality is not like the old functionality and has very different documents. A chronological listing of Commission-level releases would be much more useful than providing every release that comes out of the Commission.

• Matthew Stegeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I worked here all summer and still can't seem to find NOIs when I need them. The search function seems spotty at best...I would say at least let individual offices pin commonly-used proceedings in chronological order if they wish to do so.

• Robert Folliard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen. If I am looking for something that came out in "fall of 2010," (which I am right now) the chronological headlines was the fastest, easiest way to find it. Bring it back please.

• AdminFCC (new media, Federal Communications Commission) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Check out http://beta.fcc.gov/newsroom and let us know if that helps you find what you are looking for.

The Newsroom (listed under "The FCC") serves the same function as the old chronological headlines, but now we've added filters on the right side to help users drill down to specific content you might be looking for. You can filter by topic or content type.

Also, if you know you are looking for a specific official document--like the open internet NOI--you can check out "Official Documents" at http://beta.fcc.gov/documents. It is a large feed of all of the legal documents produced by the agency, and also has filters available. You can sort for a specific content type like NOIs, or add a topic filter like Broadband to help narrow the results.

Thanks Noah--Let us know if this helps, or if there are ways we can make this easier to use.

- FCC New Media

• old functionality commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I posted this in another posting before I saw this one. 100% agree with you. From my other posting:

I think that the website does some things well: The search function is much improved based on my quick test, and it is visually much more appealing. But, I do agree with the sentiment of this posting. The old site, at the moment, does one important thing much better than the new site: being able to find an order and its corresponding speeches based on approximately knowing when an item was passed and either using a Ctrl + F keyword search or visually scanning an entire year's worth of items on one page. As an attorney at the Commission, this feature of the old website gives me more confidence that any searches that I perform for a year's items are fairly exhaustive. The way the new site is set up, I am not given that confidence, though again, this seems easily correctable to me. The links that display an entire year's items should be preserved: this is also true of the bureau pages. Preservation of this advantage of the old site would go a long way to alleviate my fears with the new site.

Feedback and Knowledge Base