How can we improve the new FCC.gov?

Make the rotating image box smaller. It takes up all of the screen real estate above the fold.

18 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • fnord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, you know what? I just realized that this UserVoice feedback site has an example of a great layout. Its header is similar in size to the collapsed header on the beta site when one scrolls down. It's unobtrusive and takes up so much less space. The actual page content starts very close to the top of the page, which is great. There's less vertical whitespace in the header and content, yet it's still very readable.

• fnord commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example would be any of the pages under the "Our Work" menu. The topic browser is a great idea to help specific audiences drill down to the content that they want. But this vital part, a component that actually helps visitors get where they want to go, is below the fold due to the large heading and large slideshow.

• Function Over Form commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with both Mr. Beckwith and Mr. Bonilla. The flash slideshow is too big and the newsroom content is buried. But Mr. Bonilla is also right that the search field seems comically large, especially considering text input appears to be at Arial 10.

• William Beckwith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no accounting for taste. The same banner effects could be accomplished with graphics of smaller dimensions, and in such a way that the user would be able to see the headers and some content that currently can be viewed only by scrolling down. In other words, the layout is not optimized. Aesthetics apparently have been given a priority over functionality.

• Carlos Bonilla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the image size is fine. What I think as big is the search field box and the font size for the titles in the main menu.

Feedback and Knowledge Base