CLOSED: A New FCC.gov - Feedback

This forum is now closed. There will be future opportunities to comment on the FCC.gov website.*

We will be rolling out updates to the new FCC.gov on a regular basis. Share your thoughts and ideas on what to add to the next release, or ways we can improve the user experience or functionality on FCC.gov.

1. 2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Website Feedback & Discussion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The changing logo on scroll is slightly distracting.

The animation and change tends to catch the eye on scroll, maybe it'd be better to always display the smaller logo?

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Website Feedback & Discussion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Looks very gov 2.0

presentation layer is important, but what happens when my corn plants shift 10 inches to the left?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Improving user interactions with top news displayer

On the front page, there is a top news/story displayer that constantly switches between the various stories.
    Currently, there are two problems with this:
    First, the title of the story is not link when it should be. I think you will find that most users will think that the title is a link, as is often the case, when it is not.
    Second, the clickable space for switching between the different stories is too small. I can't find the research paper on this right now, but increasing the interaction space is nearly almost always helpful. It may also be useful…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Generally like. RSS button missing in URL Bar.

Works well when browser has JS/Plugins and Images turned off. A sign of best of breed dev. Major points here.

Missing RSS button in URL Bar (I see link at the bottom, though). Would prefer a category-based site combined with a blog (instead of just a blog with some links on the side) BUT do love just how accessible you guys are - tons of contact, action and support links. Very nice.

My first visit to fcc.gov and the old site with proprietary DOC files are a major turn-off so this update is already infinitely better. Thanks and thank you…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Clarify social sharing features

It's great that you're including the FCC's social media channels and social sharing features on this beta site. I would like to suggest either different icons or arrangement for the channels, however. Right now, they are rather dark and shaded when the user doesn't have their mouse hovered over the icons. To me, that makes the social sharing icons below them stand out more.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Website Feedback & Discussion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Subject/Issue scroller

I'd like to see a sort of searchable menu on the left or right of the page. Major and current issues or operations for the FCC and then you can instantly see the list, search it and then comment or read about it. Having the main center of the page with a few pics and headers is nice and attractive but not fully functional.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Improve performance: http://pagespeed.googlelabs.com/#url=beta.fcc.gov

Google's Page Speed has some good ideas to improve website performance

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Mobile Safari floating search + title disappear

In Mobile Safari, the floating search and title div don't use the fixed position of the viewport, but slide under the top edge. Then, scrolling back to the top of the page shows the wrong graphic position.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Remove transitional doctype and move to html5. Build for the future, not the past.

The doctype for the site is "transitional". Change this to match today's standard for the new web site. Set the doctype to <!DOCTYPE html>, then design and fix issues.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Exploring spectrum back button broken

When I visit the Spectrum Dashboard on Google Chrome and then select Browse Spectrum Bands my websites back button stops working properly.

In particular, if, from that page, I select "Radio" and then press "Search", and the try to use my back button, it immediately redirects me to the search results page.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Changing the font size breaks rendering in firefox 4

Changing the font size to large creates a very odd looking broken fcc logo in current Firefox 4.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fix Z-index on YouTube videos. Right now if you scroll down on a video page it overlaps the toolbar.

Go to a page with a YouTube video like http://beta.fcc.gov/blog/broadband-jobs-and-innovation . If you scroll down the video will overlap the toolbar/header at least on Google Chrome.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Website Feedback & Discussion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Always allow 9 digit ZIP codes. 5 digits + 4

The contact page only allows 5 digit ZIP codes. The Get Email Updates page allows even 10. Always accept either 5 digits, 9 digits, or 5 digits then a dash then the 4 digits.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Invalid email addresses in the Get Email Updates section of the footer redirects to a blank page

It should have client side JavaScript validation which warns the user about invalid email addresses or zip codes. There should also be server side validation so if the page is submitted there is an error page.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Fix the front page slideshow to fit neatly on the grid on the sides.

It really makes me think it didn't render right in my browser and makes it look broken. Eliminate the translucent black border around the front page slideshow.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Search | Take Action | Discuss is right focus.

A thousand other ways things "could" be done right. This is one of them. Nice work

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Enlarge the font size of links on the bottom half of the screen

The tiny size of the fonts makes it seem like this information isn't important.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Spectrum Dashboard should show band information from service rules not just allocations

At present the Spectrum Dashboard appears based solely on the allocation table. In some cases there are no service rules for parts of bands for a given service so the data indicated is misleading. For example, a search on 854-894 MHz indicates that Part 90 and cellular overlap. Business/Industrial Land Transportation Service is shown as being in 854 - 894 MHz for example. In reality, the services rules in Part 22 and Part 90 make it clear that they don't. Part 90 ends at 869 MHz.

This is a general problem since the allocations are often broader than the service…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add social functionality mapped to FCC operations

Let's really open up what FCC is doing and involve the public.. and make it worthwhile, perhaps even fun! There's so much FCC can do with User Generated Content to engage citizens...

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

CLOSED: A New FCC.gov - Feedback

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base