How can we improve Broadband.gov?

Engage YouTube, Hulu, NetFlix, etc in your tests.

If you could embed some javascript to test speeds on sites like YouTube, Hulu and NetFlix, you could probably get a better idea of the anti-competitive practices perpetrated by ISPs. When I visit any speed test site, I get well over 10Mbps speeds -- frequently in the range of 15Mbps. However, it's taken me 10 minutes to watch a 51 second video on YouTube that's not even 720i quality. Hulu and NetFlix are all but unusable at times when speedtest.net, performance.toast.net, and your site all report a solid connection. What's more, the video I was watching from YouTube was linked to from the front page of Reddit and its content is almost certainly cached and should play with relative ease.

5 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jeremy McEntireJeremy McEntire shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh, and it's kind of ironic youre telling them to do the very thing that's causing you to have less than stellar performance.

Oh, and it's kind of ironic your telling them to do the very thing that's causing you to have less than stellar performance.

Agreed with below, sometimes it's not your ISP that's at fault but the companies your recieving data from that are throttling what they send to you. Which is why it's going to be next to impossible for there every to be a requirement that you HAVE to get speeds advertised. Yes, companies take advantage of this and use it as a cop out so they don't have to provide the best of the best. But that's life. A lot of times major companies like youtube sneak in google analytics and other tracking scripts that are taking up a lot of your bandwidth which is why your videos are taking so long to load.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also be determined on how these websites set up their servers.. Reddit has a reputation of taking down websites when something is popular on there. These popular videos might be kept on one of their servers the. That one server be bogged down by massive downloads on one specific download. I've only noticed this because sometimes only specific channels are slow to load for me.

• Jeremy McEntireJeremy McEntire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of course, the embedded data would have to be hosted on their domain and be indistinguishable by any traffic shaping algorithm. That is, you can't simply do an include on .01% of page loads to fcc.gov/sneakyTest.js -- that'd initiate a fresh connection to your servers and wouldn't necessarily suffer the same issues that streaming video data from YouTube has. I'd like to see YouTube stream a video to the user and report back the time to complete. Maybe they can replace every 100,000th video with a message from the FCC -- much like you have mandatory emergency network tests on TV.

Feedback and Knowledge Base