Plain Language

We are committed to following federal plain-writing guidelines for FCC documents, using clear and concise language appropriate to the subject matter and intended audiences. Share your thoughts, suggestions and examples below.

How can we make FCC documents more reader-friendly?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. in palin and simple language

I am SO TIRED OF 'LEGALIZE' TALK, I have been on the phone with ATT for most of the day, along with the public utilities commission. DO THE PEOPLE THAT MANAGE THESE ACCOUNTS EVEN KNOW WHERE ALL THE FEES ARE PAID? MOST SPECIFICALY: 'THE FEDERAL UNIVERAL SERVICE CHARGE".
    The reason this all came to the 'front' was curiosity, I wanted it spelled out where each and every surcharge, tax and fee on my att bill was paid for and to whom? The company employees 'TF7PY44', 'Iris', and' Esa' XCW210402 ( who was supposedly 'upper management'. Don't have a clue, they…

33 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Stop using colored text.

Websites fail when visitors cannot read it and easily navigate it. .

I am a senior who is losing my vision - which is different than "color-blind". Crayon colors, neon colors, faded colors, and colored backgrounds make it nearly impossible for many of us to SEE and READ the text.

Black on white is the defacto color combination for readers; please use it. And please don't forget to use a gutter (border) on the sides of each side, too.

Aside: When I created websites I asked handicapped visitors to rate: readability, usability and colors. What I learned is browsers do…

19 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Website Feedback & Discussion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Closed caption

FCC on tv and movie DVD and sorenson vp and computer because every time I watch no closed caption:(

12 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Website Feedback & Discussion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • DON'T DELETE IN-PROGRESS APPLICATIONS!!!

We have been working with a municipality and a contractor to prepare an FCC license application. We have had delays because of bidding schedules and were waiting for specific antenna and transmitter information from the contractor so that we could complete our application. The web site warns that FCC will delete the unfinished work after 30 days (ridiculous) and so we tried to make sure we entered the site every couple of weeks to extend our 30-day period. Well, we apparently missed a day, and the FCC deleted our work. We will have to start over again with the entry…

10 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Rank topics by interest and activity, to actually promote citizen commenting

The current website design forces those who wish to testify on-line to search for the elusive docket number. Unless you are an industry attorney, you are probably not going to go to the effort to find this docket number. Even New York Times articles don't tell citizens the docket numbers. Even organized activist groups don't tell citizens the docket numbers. Thus, the website of the FCC deters citizen engagement.. To promote citizen input, the FCC would simply rank topics by interest level and activity. Topics such as "net neutrality," "decency standards," and "monopoly threats" are evergreen topics. An fcc.org front…

10 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Website Feedback & Discussion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • I think font size deters people from reading these documents.

In making FCC documents more reader-friendly increase the font size. Eliminate some of the why's and the supportive material. The column format makes it messy and more difficult to read. No other printed material uses column except the newspaper. Most of us are reading web pages, business letters are in top to bottom "regular" format.

9 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • I spent 2 hours searching on line boating forums to find out I needed an SA license for a simple? marine VHF license

Make marine VHF license Google searchable with an actual answer in the FAQ's

9 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • **** this website and it's jargon. The FCC is sham, and they built a comment website unable

**** this website and it's jargon. The FCC is sham, and they built a comment website that isn't interactive.

**** the FCC, like at this intentional malicious use of bad formats and jargon to mislead people to be able to comment on the poor service we experience.

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Website Feedback & Discussion  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • 7 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • I disagree with the concept of creating 'reader friendly' language, as I fear it would allow legal exploitation of unclear language.

I disagree with the concept of creating 'reader friendly' language, as I fear it would allow legal exploitation of unclear or 'dumbed down' terms. However, re-formatting documentation asteticly might help dramatically with readability (i.e. switching from the column structure to a single page structure, referencing supportive material rather than describing it, etc.).

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Honestly, just make a video.

You can say a lot and give examples and explanations in a video. It takes a lot less time away from the viewer and is more accessible to the masses. If done correctly it can capture the attention for a longer period of time than text. The FCC does not appeal to the youth. This may be the downfall of the FCC over time. A video is almost paramount actually. Also, net neutrality for all not just the paying few.

5 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • 4 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Why are all of your forms horrendously difficult and tedious?

All of the forms on this site seemingly discourage actual complaints. The rest of this site seems to do the same, making thing exceedingly difficult and making the poster feel as if no actual action can be taken. I understand that some of it is pure bureaucracy, that's bound to happen; but the point remains that you (as an organization) are trying to stymie the American people's voice in this regard. I'm ashamed of my government and my nation more than ever because of things like this. Make a real effort, but don't dress up this site like it isn't…

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Better Search Engine Capability with Common Language

I have spent over an hour looking for the original and any updates to the Wireless Telecommunications document that defines the construction of cell towers and the Mhz parameters. When I search "wireless telecommunications regulations", I am prompted to select which agency. If I knew that I would have put it into the search criteria. Please help.

3 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • make it simple

make it simple I am 15 and I am trying to read and figure out what the site is talking about. It is not hard If I spend the time to do it. but make a page were you can go to quickly and get a short answer that can solve the issues people have. I don't think people need to read all the background information they just want to know how to solve the issue. In general use simpler words that a broader range of people can understand.

3 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Asking the public to discern you docket to translate your specialized speak is inconsiderate, you should be able to translate for us.

Please review idea previously entered. It is new to me but clearly expresses my frustration trying to comment. Is this your intention?

Title:Rank topics by interest and activity, to actually promote citizen commenting The current website design forces those who wish to testify on-line to search for the elusive docket number. Unless you are an industry attorney, you are probably not going to go to the effort to find this docket number. Even New York Times articles don't tell citizens the docket numbers. Even organized activist groups don't tell citizens the docket numbers. Thus, the website of the FCC deters…

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Correct Lifeline Household Worksheet!

The Lifeline program has a "Lifeline Household Worksheet" which contains logical inconsistencies. Applicants are asked "Do you share living expenses with at least one of the adults listed above [living at the same address]". A "yes" response triggers "then your address includes only one household. You may not get Lifeline because someone in your household already gets Lifeline." Clearly, the fact of sharing expenses has absolutely nothing to do with whether the other person ("someone") does, or does not, "already get Lifeline". Secondly, under "certifications" the person is told to initial the certifications below, which is A and B. The…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • 2 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • web masters of cons Vs Ego's

FCC well this states Dela Pena is a lady in red and in "yellow " chainman town is slurs just simple as a ****** or Jew in race recesses it takes major capital freedoms with no worry epoch held a grudge cause Demote to outrage of suits and the EEOC did not have an omission job rescores so who truth and flip is a races slurs just like saying white back means **** but I'll be wrong foe who success is FCC or EEIOG real DoE?
                                        are is the siphoned of anti-derrieres govern body trying to inner hope to cause…

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • no ***** given, just keep net neutrality

no ***** given, just keep net neutrality

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Plain Language

Feedback and Knowledge Base