How can the FCC better engage the public on rulemakings?

The FCC should continue to monitor and prohibit nudity and profanity on networks/radio. It isn't censorship, it's common sense.

Too many in our country are consumed with their own rights rather than what will benefit the greater good. Children should not be exposed to nudity or profanity and this consideration should dictate FCC's policies. If this was not monitored, even commercials and "family" shows would run amok with nudity and profanity and (good) parents would not be able to have the tv or radio on at all. It seems to be a fading notion to protect those who are vulnerable but there is a cost to such selfishness. Have the courage to stand up for what is right people!

59 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ashley hashley h shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • BB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, correct me if i'm wrong but FCC can only regulate network television right? not cable TV? and channels that are "luxury" and people are not required to subscribe to? I thought they only had the authority to regulate tv stations such as Fox, NBC, ABC and other networks that receive government funding.

And going to digital i'm pretty sure they gave up even more of their powers by giving up what little leverage they had.

long post short, you should be petitioning the networks not the FCC.

• BB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And to many parents rely on the FCC as a safety net so they think that they don't have to watch shows with their kids. And some could argue there's a difference between nudity and sexuality... one should be censored the other shouldn't.

What may be right for you might not be right for some.

Ever think to limit your children exposure to television.... problem solved. But to many parents use it as a way to keep their children quiet while they watch their adult tv shows or what ever it is they want to do other than interact with their children.There are already so many optional things in place but adults are to lazy to use them. Maybe they just need more paid channels like HBO for kids only with no commercials.

I agree with H. Lewis' comment that if you really want to protect your children get rid of the tv. This is something not many adults will do with out.

• H .LewisH .Lewis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is already permitted on television goes WAYYYYYYY too far. We no longer (for 3+ years now) have t.v. in our home. And you know what? My son doesn't miss it. At all. He was 7 at the time we started. Now almost 10. I get so much more done at home, read more and spend more time with my family and doing things we love. It has been one of the best decisions we ever made. And we have saved over $600 a year wiping out a cable bill. That's a good vacation fund! Or college savings or whatever. It's freedom. That's what it really is.
        No longer chained to the t.v. and the open sewer running through the wires.

• angelica creekangelica creek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider that a moral compass is necessary for our future generations. Our Children are impressionable. *********** is rampant. It takes only two visuals of indecent exposure for children to be hooked. Censorship is needed. The filth that our children are exposed to is embarrassing, not ok, degrading to both genders. The idea that everything indecent that our children, teenagers, young adults are exposed to from both medias, audio and visual has created a generation that everything is ok to do and say under the sun. America's future generations are depending on FCC to be their voice in regulating the audio and visual media with rules and guidelines to prevent desensitizing of immoral conduct to be an acceptable way of life and the standard for America.Bring back the moral compass, America really does want it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am shocked to see the kind of poor standards we have in place now. Our poor children are exposed to so much already. Such as commercials for upcomming movies that are R or PG-13 during the 5 or 6 pm or 7pm show times. The T.V shows have on major networks are showing killings, voilance and foal language. If anything we need to make our standards tougher to protect out future.

• annoymousannoymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do not change your policies restricting nudity and profanity over the air. There is precious little of good quality on current bradcasts. The bar is too low already. Our culture is flooded with more than an excess of vulgarity.

Young people, I having been one of them can find these things online all the time. You may block it but ways are found and there is nothing you can do to stop that. A human body is a human body. Showing breasts would be fine, not only that but by allowing it its no longer a rule that can be broken and that breaks the taboo of doing it.

I, as an adult and a mother, am appalled by what is already allowed on TV. Removing what little rules there are left will make it impossible for my children to watch TV anymore. It is unnecessary to use such words and actions to make a point. If our society needs to use 4-letter words as their means of expression, then they need more education! We should be able to make things funny and entertaining without being vulgar and corrupting the children!

YES!!! I agree completely. I would like to see the FCC continue enforce quality standards on the basic channels. I feel that there is already too much profanity and violent images (on the crime investigation shows).

Feedback and Knowledge Base