How can the FCC better engage the public on rulemakings?

Give leverage back to the public

Americans pay more for the worst telecommunication services than anyone else in the developed world. End large monopolies like Verizon, AT&T, and Comcast by letting smaller companies have greater access to lower spectrum frequencies, unlock all cell phones, eliminate erroneous fees, fine them for poor customer service, and make a bigger effort to notify the public of pending actions through social media. Americans don't get value for the overpriced services they recieve.

32 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LydiaLydia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joan FitzpatrickJoan Fitzpatrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very concerned about the upcoming buyout of Time Warner Cable by Comcast. Comcast, according to Sena Fitzmaurice, their vice president of government communications, is going to have to drop 3 million of the 11 million subscribers it gained from Time Warner in order to adhere to anti-trust regulations. They don't know where geographically these subscribers will come from at this point. Shouldn't they have a plan in place so that subscribers will not be simply shunted off to some other company they have little control over? As a subscriber, I feel that even with the companies as they are now, I have little control over what I pay to have telecommunication services. They are constantly increasing prices and offering fewer packages to the consumer. Some of the cheaper, basic packages have basically gone away, and the packages they now offer, even though they may provide more, are not wanted or affordable by those who want to save money or are on a fixed income. Before this merger is approved, I would like to know exactly how it is going to save consumers money and which subscribers are going to be dropped by Comcast.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree! I have been in the financial industry for 25 years helping people elimate debt. In recent years it is amazing to me how much familes are spending to stay connected with cell phones. I assure you if these companies had to follow lending practices to make sure people can afford the monthly bill these prices would be reduced!! Families are paying more for cable and cell phones then the average car payment without having to qualify for it in most cases. Also, there is not cap on the overcharges they can bill monthly. How did this happen and no one see the danger for the average consumer!?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

greed is always the problem!!! Monopolies are the epitome of greed, and our telecommunication and cable companies are monopolies. I can't believe that the USA, one of the most advanced countries in the world is actually behind many European and Asian countries in this field. We still are subjected to long term contracts, proprietary phones, ridiculous internet speeds and crazy expensive cable packages. I have no choice when it comes to internet service. I am stuck with slow poke Verizon or expensive Warner cable. It is ridiculous that there aren't any other choices; it is pathetic that those in charge don't have consumers'interest at heart. As I said, greed is rampant and everyone is looking out for himself. The present boss Mr. Wheeler should do the right thing, allow other companies to compete, promote upgrading of lines, discourage and punish monopolies. Basic Internet should be public and free for all (many European countries already have that). Upgraded and certified higher speeds should be available for reasonable fees, and phone companies like Verizon should not force customers to purchase services they don't need or want (land line phone) just to have internet connection. Mr. Wheeler, if you are reading do something and actually fix this mess.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can remember when the FCC or Govt broke up AT&T, Bell and others in an effort to reduce monopolies and costs to consumers. It did not take too long for those same companies or affilates to merge and grow big again. Issue is that we as consumers want cheaper communications but more apps and gagets on our phones and with our TV. FCC can only do so much. We as consumers need to demand that carriers provide reasonable rates, excellent service, and "state-of-the-art" applications but not have to sign long contracts to get this service. By eliminating contracts consumers can chose the best in the industry or leave the worst without penalty ... this promotes competion and excellence in communication. FCC can help with getting rid of contract requirements that companies use to grow high profits but provide reduced services without significant rate increases.
        Consumers go with companies who give great service at reasonable rates ... same applies to corporations who buy communication services ... Communication companies have gotten too greedy!

Feedback and Knowledge Base