How can FCC data be more useful to the public?

Make the do not call complaints database public.

53 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    RobotTwoRobotTwo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems to me that if I ask the caller to not call me anymore, my request should be respected. However, my request is not respected and I continue to get 30-40 calls per month from Credit Card Services. I have no idea how to stop them.

Matt, just tell your people to stop calling us-period. Nobody, I repeat, nobody wants the telephone ringing needlessly on their off day, at all hours of day/night. Put something in the mail. If we need you, we will call you. Enough already! FCC-FTC whoever you are - please outlaw telemarketing!

Complaints are a joke, and there is no "real" enforcement. I used to follow the robo-call instructions and ask the company to remove me from their call list. This NEVER worked. Now I have my own "enforcement" proceedure for companies who violate my Do Not Call registration. I follow-through and make an appointment for them to visit my house to finish the "sale", at which time I tell them they are here to get a peice of my mind, not a piece of my wallet!

To me the Do Not Call List is a joke any money spent on it is a total waste. I have been on the list for many years and average about 3 to 5 unsolicited calls per day.

The gov't should publish data on the problem. First how may illegal telemarketing calls are made daily. Second: how much crime and property loss occurs because of those telemarketers who are just phishing for information.

Finally, the FTC is the wrong organization to enforce the rules.

• MattMatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What most people do not understand is that the "unsolicited calls" that you are still receiving are (more than likely) not "unsolicited". Meaning, that *most website forms have a section within their Terms & Conditions that allow them to contact you (even if you are on the Do Not Call list). Long story short, if you've ever put your personal information into an online form, depending on their Terms & Conditions, they are legally within their right to contact you (as you've opted in to receive information from them).

Dear FCC, It would be nice to make public your "Do Not Call List" database (through an API would be fantastic). If the database were made public, programmers such as myself would be able to verify that a customer (or anyone who fills out an online form registration) is not on the list.

Although some owners of these "opt in forms" may still want to contact all persons that opt in through their form, some may treat the user differently if they knew they were on the Do Not Call list (or not contact them at all).

I am the owner of a Lead Generation Company and would LOVE to mark that a "sign up" is on the Do Not Call list so that my clients may choose to not call them altogether, or choose to treat that user differently (more cautiously).

Thank You

• George PottsGeorge Potts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is going on with the do not call list? I seem to be getting more unsolicited calls, but no one seems to be getting in trouble.

• Robert TrottaRobert Trotta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I AGREE 100%. I see NOTHING that the FTC has done to STOP these calls from coming! What good is the Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009? It does NOTHING either to stop these telemarketers. Almost EVERY number that appears on my Caller ID is FAKE or NON-EXISTENT!

• Jon BJon B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. Given that the FCC has basically taken zero enforcement actions in 2010-2011, making the database public would allow consumers to have more data when they take telemarketers to small claims under the TCPA (or would give them the ammunition to push it with local authorities, so they can see it is worth it)

Feedback and Knowledge Base