How can we improve the new FCC.gov?

New website = New Coke

The FCC's web site should be designed to further the agency's regulatory mission and allow individuals and organizations to transact business more efficiently with the agency than they could in a paper or face-to-face world. Rather than focus on pretty graphics designed to maximize PR and image and present the Commission as hip and cutting-edge, the Commission should focus on improving the functionality of its electronic databases and database interfaces, the accessibility of information, and the amount of information. That's what loyal users really want, and the agency seems to have forgotten that. I can't help but think that the new site is like New Coke -- a flashy, ill-conceived idea that is quickly alienating the customer/user base. To fix these significant shortcomings, I suggest a few things. First, the Commission needs to revamp its outdated databases, such as EDOCS and COALS. There's a lot of information that is not easily accessible or omitted altogether from these databases. It need not be. Second, the Commission needs to identify tasks that it is still handling manually (St. Louis filing facility, anyone?). There is no excuse for the Wireline Competition Bureau not having an electronic filing and payment option for domestic 214 transfers and assignments. Third, the Commission needs to reduce the number of clicks to reach specific content, as in many cases, it takes 10 clicks to get to through the sub-sub-sub-sub menus to find content. Finally, the Commission needs to require that different bureaus and offices (a) keep their content up-to-date (the same goes for the FCC's rules, which are often out of date on the Commission's web site), (b) improve transparency by disclosing organizational structure and staff names associated with particular tasks, and (c) adding content about regulatory policies and practices. Thanks for considering these thoughts.

186 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Cranky UserCranky User shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New coke? scratching my head!!! meaning cocaine?? Why use word of Coke? Why not Pepsi? Where were you thinking about at that time? Why not new C R A C K ? Did you get permission from corporate company by using coke? There is no way we get that kind of high by seeing new website. The website mall over looks a lot better in those days and they eventually did not use word of new coke!! This is getting me fogging and confusing...

Feedback and Knowledge Base