How can we improve the new FCC.gov?

Site needs IA more than design

This new site design is beautiful; it’s impressive for a government page. I feel like the design isn’t really the issue though. The information on the site is still poorly organized, and seems to assume you understand the government lingo the FCC works under. I think the FCC should consider reworking the site to focus on helping the public understand and navigate the issues the FCC deals with, and not on a flashy “web 2.0” look.
Consider hiring an Information Architect…

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dan SagisserDan Sagisser shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Get rid of FLASH and focus on usability.  ·   · 

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chip CooperChip Cooper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IA, indeed. However, I would like to see more focus on the Complaint side. Without the ability to correlate the data everything looks like chaff & no wheat. Too many times I find "that ALMOST, describes what I'm looking for; or looking to complain about" I would like to commend you, however, on many of the added options added over the last year or so.

• Content StrategistContent Strategist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dan's right, but look for someone who uses content strategy in their approach to developing that information. You need to work from the bottom up, reviewing content in terms of the purpose it serves. Be sure that each audience you serve has a clear destination page on your site and that each program's content is parceled out in ways that ensure that each audience can get whatever that program has that it needs — without having to filter through a bunch of the rest of that program's content that, to that audience, is simply noise.

It isn't an overnight thing. But real improvement won't start at the top. And do whatever it takes to disabuse whoever it is that loves Flash animations on your home page that they don't meet the needs of the people who use the FCC's website.

Information does.

Feedback and Knowledge Base