How can we improve the new FCC.gov?

amateur radio

There's no links for amateur radio or other licensing issues directly. There should be something separating the consumer and business sites!

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can I file a complaint ??? The local power company is transmitting static at a very high level all over my town and away from town going many miles in all directions, at times the noise is so bad I can not use my Ham Radio at all.

Apparently the power companies do not have to follow the FCC rules for broadcasting.

Tom Wilson W5QI

• SterlingSterling commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with another planned design change, that the site should have two faces--one for the individual/non-business use and one for the business. There should be prominent links to different services, and on the news ticker, have a feature of ham radio go by occasionally, to inform the public of an enjoyable hobby that is missed by the public eye.

The new FCC Amateur Radio page should provide a lot of BASIC information to the newcomer at the forefront, like what Larry stated. It should also have links to popular sites like the ARRL and QRZ or something like that.

Licensing and all that bureaucracy needs quite an overhaul. Make it easy to find the right form, or better yet, the right VEC/VE Team, instead of making the user have to search more. Make paper into bytes where it possible and feasible.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Larry and his idea would be much more helpful than spending days and days and still not find the answers that you're looking for. This is not in anyway,shape or form,serving the general public,this is a waste of my tax dollars.Can someone remind the FCC that this is the 21st Century and how to use the internet to their advantage,not for hiding stuff.

• LarryLarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be helpful to include a link to amateur radio that is accessible from the FCC homepage. The amateur radio page could include hotlinks for a number of topics related to amateur involvement, possibly in FAQ format. For example:
        - Part 97 Rules
        - Rulemaking activities, include comment invitation & dates
        - Other FCC actions, e.g., enforcement, outreach activities
        - License costs, renewals
        - Licensing procedure, test elements & privileges
        - Training and testing
        - RACES and ARES
        - How to get started- note the training and mentoring typically available from local clubs, VHF/UHF repeaters, connections to RACES & ARES.

Each topic could include a brief explanation of the issue and a hotlink to the relevant portion of the FCC rules and to online access points, e.g., license renewal. Consider asking ARRL or an instructor of amateur radio licensing courses such as Gordon West to propose details of this section; CQ Magazine would also be a good source. Those folks have a very good idea of what amateur information needs to be readily accessible on an FCC website, especially for youth and adults wanting to get started.

In 1992, after Hurricane Iki, 44 Ham Radio operators had to be flown into Kauai to assist authorities with Disaster Assistance operations and now it's clear why. This website makes it impossible for newcomers to get started in this field and most probably give up after viewing the tons of misdirected **** on this website. How is this website suppose to help people get started?

• a radio amateura radio amateur commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I haven't tried looking for amateur radio information yet. If I experience what these people have experienced, I'll be back to cast more votes.

We wanted to start a Amateur Radio Club in my children's school and this FCC website has shattered their dreams.I have spent days on this site and still have not found any clear answers to any of my questions. Get rid of the freaks and bring in the geeks,make this site understandable and readable.

• Suzanne ConnerSuzanne Conner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

reduction of paperwork is a joke when i need to download 11 pages of stuff to renew my ham license. I still cannot figure out how to renew electronically from this "NEW IMproved" site. No wonder the gov. is going broke.

I totally agree with this thread. We need to encourage the general public to get involved in Amateur Radio but that will never be possible if the FCC continues to bury the information somewhere within their website. We are in a day and age where everyone uses computers and Iphones to obtain information and that information must be easy to get too. Not become a guessing game within the FCC website. Just tell us how and how much and where to go. Don't give us a lot of legal mumble jumble. With the current state of this website search engine, it appears to be worthless in any info about the who,what and why to the Amateur Radio process. In fact,this website appears to be a nightmare and is not even close to being user friendly in the 21st century. Is there a one year online course to understand your website,somehow I must of missed it?

Feedback and Knowledge Base