How can we improve the new FCC.gov?

Do we need so many videos and blogs? What is the purpose?

123 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    William BeckwithWilliam Beckwith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    MichieruMichieru shared a merged idea: Less video, more important material on the front page  ·   · 

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Content StrategistContent Strategist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure the videos were added to the home page with the best of intentions -- perhaps to promote background information that the public should know. Perhaps you're thinking of the website as a conversation with your constituents. That's a useful model for getting it right. But that conversation has to be about what your constituents need, not about the stuff you wish they knew. Focus on your constituents first. And realize that they are many different audiences -- not just "Public" and "Industry" -- with unique needs. Serve them well.

• William BeckwithWilliam Beckwith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One concern I have is that the videos could come across as self-promoting infomercials. It seems like the value provided by videos relative to the spacial dimensions devoted could be disproportionately low. Access to key content like the daily digest, how to file a complaint, and access to filings seems to be crowded out by videos, graphics, and blogs. Also, reading increasingly is a lost art, but I'm not sure we need to hasten its demise.

• K ThomsonK Thomson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree with RJF. Less emphasis on video, which takes time to consume. What about some data/graphs on the bottom of home page to encourage people to drill into the work?

• Function Over FormFunction Over Form commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the first part of your comment, rjf. Especially the point about making video content available as text, which will aid searches and persons with disabilities.

Regarding the second point. I'm all for the government hosting non-sensitive content on free private sector resources like YouTube. (1) It increases the likelihood of the content being seen by the public; and (2) it saves government resources as the private sector pays for the cost of storing/maintaining/presenting the content. Win-win, as I see it.

• rjfrjf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Video content is basically opaque to searches and takes a great deal of time to consume relative to articles. At least make the content of the video available in text form so that it may more easily be consumed, indexed, etc. Maybe in an "education" section, but a waste of front page space.

Aside, should US government content be hosted by YouTube/Google with all the tracking ramifications related to the use of their infrastructure?

• Function Over FormFunction Over Form commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Mr. Beckwith. Perhaps one link to a "meet the FCC" page with all the videos and blogs would be appropriate, but right now they dominate the frontpage.

• William BeckwithWilliam Beckwith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a lot of valuable space devoted to videos. Is that necessary and does the value of the content merit so much space? What public interest is being served?

Feedback and Knowledge Base